Mixed Berry Chia Jam (Vegan)
This healthy and delicious Mixed Berry Chia Jam only takes 20 minutes to make and requires very few ingredients. Plus it doesn't contain any added sweeteners, so you can spread it on your toast as thick as you'd like!
- 2 cup mixed frozen berries
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Put the berries and water in a saucepan, and heat on the stovetop over medium heat until they begin to simmer. Reduce heat to medium/low, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, and mash the berries with a fork or potato masher until it reaches your desired consistency. Stir in the chia seeds. Let it cool for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes (this prevents the chia seeds from clumping).
- Stir in the lemon juice, transfer to a jar with a lid, and refrigerate.
- This jam can be refrigerated for up to 7 days.
- Using 2 cups of berries results in about 1 cup of jam. Feel free to use a mix of different berries, or just one type of berry if you prefer.
- The jam will continue to thicken as it cools in the fridge and the chia absorbs more liquid.
- If you'd like your chia jam to be a little sweeter, feel free to add in a teaspoon or two of a sweetener of choice to taste (such as date sugar, coconut sugar, or maple syrup) when you add the chia seeds.
- To make a raw jam, put the berries in a glass container with a lid, and defrost them so they're mushy. You can do this by putting them in the fridge for 6-8 hours or overnight. Mash them with a fork or potato masher, and stir in the chia seeds and lemon juice. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then give it a stir (this prevents the chia seeds from clumping). Transfer to a jar and refrigerate. Eat within 4-5 days.