Vegan Butter Chickpea Curry (Oil-Free)
This mouthwatering Vegan Butter Chickpea Curry is jam-packed with flavor and can be made from start to finish in about 20 minutes! It's a nutritious dish that contains lots of healthy spices and doesn't require any added oil.
- 3 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 28oz can diced or whole tomatoes
- 1 13.5oz can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp mild yellow curry powder
- 1 tbsp gluten-free tamari
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Blend all of the ingredients - EXCEPT the chickpeas, onion flakes, and tamari - until smooth. Pour the sauce into a large saucepan, and stir in the chickpeas and onion flakes.
- Turn the heat on medium/high, and when it begins to bubble (about [cooked-timer minutes="3"]3 - 4 minutes[/cooked-timer]), reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for [cooked-timer minutes="10"]10 minutes[/cooked-timer]. Stir every so often to prevent it from burning.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the tamari, taste, and season as desired.
- Serve over a gluten-free grain of your choice, such as rice, quinoa, or millet.
- You can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- We created this recipe using only pantry staples. However, you could replace the onion flakes with 1/2 diced yellow onion, replace the onion powder with the other 1/2 yellow onion, replace the garlic powder with 2 large garlic cloves, and replace the ginger with 1/2 tbsp of freshly grated ginger.
- Feel free to add in vegetables (such as cauliflower or broccoli florets, sliced bell peppers, peas, kale, sliced carrots, etc.) when cooking the butter chickpeas.